In order for a citizen in North Carolina to legally carry a concealed weapon (handgun) outside of their personal property, they must apply for and obtain a NC Concealed Carry Weapons Permit (CCW). Below are the requirements for applicants to register for their CCW through the Sheriff’s Office.
CCW Application Requirements
- An applicant must be a citizen of the United States and have been a resident of the state thirty days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application. The Sheriff may require the applicant to submit, if necessary, appropriate documentation, to include birth certificates, tax filings or voter registration.
- The applicant must be twenty-one years of age or older.
- The applicant must not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun. The Sheriff will require the applicant to sign a release authorizing the Sheriff to receive physical and mental health records from a health care provider who has provided treatment or care to the applicant.
- The applicant must successfully complete an approved firearms safety and training course and deliver to the Sheriff the original safety course certificate of completion.
- Bring the required fee with them (payable by cash or check)
Schedule of Fees
- New Application: $90.00
- License Renewal: $75.00
Fingerprinting for Concealed Carry Permits is offered Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm. Applicants who have called ahead and made an appointment to have their fingerprinting done will take first priority therefore it is strongly suggested that you call ahead for an appointment.
To make an appointment for fingerprinting call (828) 632-1111 and speak to Ally Walker, CCH Coordinator.